Lars Wirzenius - log
A web log about life, programming, photography, Debian, Enemies of Carlotta, Lodju.
See the bottom of the page for links to older entries.
Thursday, October 11, 2007
<liw> Guest1482, iirc fakeroot doesn't work on all architectures, and there may be situations where it doesn't work on any, but it should certainly be used when possible
<Clint> liw: it should always work the same on all the linux ones
<liw> Clint, I have a vague recollection of libc making life difficult for fakeroot on... sh? hppa? but I may be utterly wrong here, and I hope I am
<Clint> liw: there was a crackheaded struct change on alpha, but vorlon and i fixed that
<liw> Clint, ok, so I'm utterly wrong, and the world is a better place for it
<Clint> that's right, so stop spreading fakeroot fud
<Clint> OR ELSE
I take it back, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused fakeroot, or its family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.
I've just released a new, completely re-written version of Unperish, my program to automate the mechanical steps of releasing a free software project.
It is now completely based on plugins, so it should be easy to adapt to other people's needs than mine. For example, although it currently only supports Bazaar as a version control system, it should be quite easy to write a plugin for any other one. After that is done, the rest of the existing plugins will still work, and can take care of things like building a Debian package with pbuilder, checking it with lintian, linda, and piuparts, and putting the results in an apt repository.
Git, for example, should be especially easy. I haven't written a git plugin yet myself, since I don't use git. The README has instructions for writing plugins, and if anything is unclear, please ask me.
I'd be more than happy to include any such plugins, or changes to plugins, that other people want to make.
Monday, October 08, 2007
Free Thursday, Thursday, October 11, at 18:00, bar Teerenpeli in Kamppi. See also home page.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Today I started working for Canonical, on Ubuntu QA.
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
However, since I'm always the first one there and the first few people seem to find the thing by finding me, I figure I should announce widely that I'm probably not going to be there, this time, due to a cold.
So, anyone attending Free Thursday, the monthly "have a beer, talk about free software" event in Helsinki, Finland, please find each other anyway.
- 2003: May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
- 2004: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
- 2005: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
- 2006: Jan Feb Mar Apr Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
- 2007: Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct
Entries by category
- Anecdotes: 2004, 2005, 2006
- Debian: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Debian Inquirer: 2006
- Enemies of Carlotta: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- Finnish politics: 2007
- Hedgehog Lisp: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- Linux: 2003, 2004, 2007
- Lodju: 2003, 2004
- Obnam: 2007
- Oliotalo: 2003, 2004
- Personal life: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Photography: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007
- Quote: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007
- Random hacks: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Random thought: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Rant: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Review: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- System administration: 2003, 2004, 2005
- Travel report: 2004, 2005, 2006
- Wishlist: 2005